EHI-02: India: Earliest Times To The 8th Century AD
Tutor Markes Assignment
Course Code: EHI-02
Assignment Code: EHI-02/AST/TMA/2017-18
Total Marks: 100
NOTE: All questions are compulsory. Marks are indicated against each question.
Section 1: Answer each question in about 500 words.
1. Discuss the main features of the society, economy, polity and religion during the early Vedic period. 20
Discuss the emergence and geographical expansion of Harappan civilization. Explain the various theories associated with the decline of Harappan civilization.
2. Explain in detail the emergence of 16thMahajanapadas during 6th century B.C. in North India. 20
Describe the main features of the central administration and economy of the Mauryan Empire.
Section 2: Answer each question in about 250 words.
3. Describe the main feature of the Palaeolithic culture and its tools during the Pleistocene Period. 12
Critically examine the nature of early state formation in South India (Tamilaham).
4. Explain the process of development of state formation under the Gupta Period. 12
Write a short note on the expansion of post-Gupta kingdoms in North India.
5. Discuss the concept of polity, economy and trade during 200 B.C. – 300 A.D. 12
Describe the main features of Gandhara, Mathura and Amravati School of art.
6. Examine the main principles of Ashoka’s policy of Dhamma. 12
Discuss the background to the rise of new religious ideas of Buddhism and Jainism during the sixth century B.C.
Section 3: Answer in about 100 words each.
7. Write short notes on any two of the following: 6 + 6
a) Northern Black Polished Ware Culture
b) The Indo-Greeks
c) Chandragupta II