EHI-04: India From 16th To Mid 18th Century
Tutor Marked Assignment
Course Code: EHI-04
Assignment Code: EHI-04/AST/TMA/2017-18
Total Marks: 100
NOTE: All questions are compulsory. Marks are indicated against each question.
Section 1: Answer each question in about 500 words.
1. How was the Portuguese trade in India financed? 20
Critically examine the policies pursued by the Mughal emperors towards the Deccan states.
2. Give a brief account of the Mughal ruling class. What was their share in the revenue resources of the empire? 20
Trace the evolution of Mughal school of painting under Akbar.
Section 2: Answer each question in about 250 words.
3. Discuss the political formations in south India in the 16th century. 12
What were the problems faced by Humayun at his accession? How did he overcome them?
4. Give a brief account of the methods of land revenue assessment under the Mughals. 12
Discuss the administrative structure of the Marathas.
5. Write a note on the growth of mansab system under Akbar. 12
Discuss the empire-centric approach of the decline of the Mughal empire.
6. Discuss various categories of land rights in the Deccan and south India in the 16th-17th centuries. 12
Mention briefly various technologies introduced in India in the seventeenth century.
Section 3: Answer in about 100 words each.
7. Write short notes on any two of the following: 6 + 6
i) European Sources for the study of Mughal India
ii) Bijapur Kingdom
iii) Turco-Mongol concept of sovereignty
iv) Bengali language and literature in the 16-17th centuries