Modern India: 1857-1964
Course Code: EHI-01
Assignment Code: ASST/TMA/2017-18
Total Marks: 100
Note: All questions are compulsory. Marks are indicated against each question.
Section 1: Answer each question in about 500 words each.
1. Discuss the various stages of colonialism in India. What was its impact on Indian economy? 20
What was the state of Indian agriculture before 1947? What measures were taken to bring about improvements in agricultural production after 1947?
2. Discuss the reasons for the failure of the Revolt of 1857. 20
Describe the different stages of the Civil Disobedience Movement.
Section 2: Answer each question in about 250 words each.
3. Write a note on the non-Brahman movements in western and southern India. 12
Discuss the relationship between Indian National Congress and the Indian capitalist class.
4. Analyse the main characteristics of the popular movements during the second half of nineteenth century. 12
Write a note on the Khilafat Movement.
5. Explain the reasons behind the partition of India. 12
Discuss the rise of national consciousness in 19th-century India.
6. What were the Cripps Proposals? Why did the Congress reject them? 12
Discuss the early Sikh reform movements.
Section 3: Answer in about 100 words each. 6+6
7. Write short notes on any two of the following:
a) Bharatendu Harishchandra
b) Home Rule Leagues
c) Government of India Act, 1935
d) Santhal rebellion.