Production & Operations Management
Q-1 (a) Define production operations management. What are its objectives and functions?
Q1 (b) What are the operations management strategies?
Q-2 (a) Explain the concept of product design and development?
Q2 (b) What are the various production systems?
3 (a) what is capacity planning? Explain the various methods of altering capacity?
Q3. (b) What are the factors affecting facility location? What are the techniques for facility location?
Q3 (c) What are the various facility layouts? Enumerate the advantages and disadvantages.
Q.4. (a) what is meant by master production schedule?
Q4 (b) Explain the activities involved in production planning and control.
Q4(c) Discuss MRP. What are the inputs and outputs of an MRP system?
Q.5. (a) Explain JIT manufacturing:
Q5 (b) Explain acceptance sampling
Q5 (c) What do you understand by maintenance policy? Explain various categories of spares.
Assignment - B
Q1a) what is economic order quantity? What are the assumptions of EOQ?
Q1b) If the annual demand for a product is 3, 50,000 units. The annual carrying cost rate is 25 percent of the cost of the unit the product costs Rs 14.75 per unit to purchase, and each time the product is ordered the related ordering cost is Rs 53.00.
Q.2. a) Operations scheduling is one of the most important function of production planning and control. Discuss.
Q 2. b) Seven jobs are to be carried out on three machines M1, M2, M3 in the order of M1, M2, M3. The processing time in hours of various jobs are tabulated below.
Case Study: -
Please read the two case studies given below and answer questions given at the end :
- a) An electronic goods company produces radios and calculators. The radios generates a profit of Rs10/- per unit while calculators generates a profit of Rs 15/- per unit. Each radio requires four diodes and four resistors, while each calculator requires ten diodes and two resistors. The radio takes 12 minutes and calculators take 9,6 minutes on the testing machine.
The production manager estimates that 160 hours of testing time are available. The firm has 8000 diodes and 3000 resistors in stock.
Formulate the linear programming problem and solve it graphically.
- b) Systems Software (P) Ltd. is planning to develop new software. It has identified the activities in the table below for this software development project and has calculated three time estimates in days for each of the activity.
- Draw the network diagram; find out the critical path and the expected duration of the project.
- Calculate the slack time for each of the activities.
- Calculate the probability of completing the project in 30 days.
ASSIGNMENT - C
Pick up the right answer from the multiple choices
1.Organizations that produce something other than physical products are called
a) Transformation organizations
b) Data transfer groups
c) Service organizations
d) Cultural organizations
- Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of service operations?
a) Intangible output
b) Perishable products
c) Labour intensive
d) Low customer contact
- Decisions that tend to focus on the entire organization, cutting across
- Competing on differentiation is
a) Concerned with uniqueness
b) Based on cost leadership
c) Based on flexibility
d) Reliability of scheduling
- Which of the following is NOT important in globalization?
a) Product design
b) Culture and ethics
c) Facility location
d) Facility lay out
- Which of the following conditions are NOT generally associated with job process?
a) Work force with highly specialized skills
b) Low product volume
c) Relatively high customization
d) High resource flexibility
- Low volume, high variety production is best suited for
a) Process focus
b) Repetitive focus
c) Product focus
d) Mass customization
- Which of the following automatically place parts into a warehouse
- The planning and scheduling of production only against specific production order is
b) Make to-Order
d) Mass Customization
- Which of the following is NOT a characteristic during the introductory phase of the product life cycle?
b) Process modification
c) Supplier development
d) Capacity utilization
- Which of the following is a characteristic of the maturity phase?
a) Products are ʹline tunedʺ
b) Product designs begin to stabiliz
c) Competitors are well-established
d) Products are considered for termination
- Benefits of design for manufacturability and value engineering include all of the following accept
a) Reduced complexity of the product
b) Additional standardization of the components
c) Improved job design and safety
d) Compromise quality
- Modular design
a) Offers flexibility to both production and marketing
b) Means that small variations in production do not adversely affect the product
c) Uses computers to interactively design the products
d) Are environmentally friendly
- Which of the following is NOT a concept of green manufacturing?
a) Make products recyclable
b) Standardization of components
c) Use less harmful ingredients
d) Use lighter components
- Design effectiveness is NOT measured by
a) Percentage of standard parts & processes
b) Number of revisions in the design
c) Cost of field repairs
d) Time taken from concept to market
- Which of the following is NOT a benefit of concurrent engineering?
a) Enables early supplier involvement
b) Promotes consensus decision making
c) Reduces developmental lead-time
d) Eliminates design changes after product introduction
- Which of the following is NOT a method for evaluating location alternatives,
a) The transportation model
b) Factor rating
c) Centre of gravity method
- Which of the following is NOT a mathematical technique used for finding the point that services several stores or areas
a) Factor rating .
b) Center of gravity
c) Transportation model
d) Hungarian method
- The system that has the highest equipment flexibility is
a) Job shop
c) Repetitive production
d) Continuous processing
Solve by www.solvezone.in
- In a product layout the process of deciding how to assign tasks to work stations is referred to as:
a) Process balancing
b) Task allocation
c) Line balancing
d) Factor rating
- The advantages NOT associated with a U shaped assembly line over a straight one are
a) Fewer workers are needed
b) Workers can reach more of the work area
c) Work area can be efficiently balanced
d) Automated material handling
- All of the following statements about using the transportation model to true EXCEPT
a) The least expensive alternatives often are those in which the output is produced and sold in the same period
b) It is possible to disallow backorders by making the back-order cost an impossibly high number
c) The transportation model is less useful for chase strategies
d) A periodʹs overtime capacity is generally a percentage of its regular time capacity
- Which of the following statements about a linear programming model is NOT true
a) An optimal production planis desired
b) The values of decision variables are fractional
c) A set of linear constraints might be defined
d) Cross-product relationships exist between two or more decision variables
- The limitations that restrict the permissible choices for decision variables are called
b) Objective function
c) Decision variables
- The total cost for a continuous review system with uncertain demand excludes consideration of
a) Cycle inventory holding cost
b) Product cost
c) Ordering cost
d) Safety stock holding cost
- Select the characteristic that is not indicative of a job shop environment
a) Low to medium volume production
b) Job or batch processes
c) Consistent, sequential process flow
d) Continual introduction of new jobs to be processed
- The priority -sequencing rule for job shop scheduling that relies ieast on time based data is
a) Critical ratio
b) Earliest due date
c) First come, first served
d) Shortest processing time
- Which statement about capacity requirements planning (CRP) is not true -
a) CRP systems adjust the order release time to prevent a workstation for exceeding its capacity?
b) CRP systems access inventory records to determine when planned orders or scheduled receipts will reacr a workstation
c) CRP systems enable the identification of critical workstations
d) The purpose if CRP is to match the material requirements plan with the plant’s production capacity
- Materials handling includes all of the following activities except
a) Moving an assembly
b) Drilling a hole
c) Storing a product
d) Handling materials
- The work measurement method that is not usually used for setting standards for repetitive, well defined jobs is
a) The elemental standard data approach
b) The work sampling method
c) The time study method
d) The predetermined data approach
- Attribute inspection measures
a) The range of a characteristic
b) If product responsiveness is adequate
c) If cause and effect are present
d) If the product is good or bad
- One hundred percent Inspection
a) Will always catch all of the defective parts
b) Means that only good parts will be shipped to the customer
c) Is always practical and generally a good idea
d) Means that every part is checked to see whether or not it is defective
a) Means that the natural variation of the process must be small enough to produce products that meet the standards
b) Exists when Cpk is less than 1
c) Exists when the process is perfectly centered
d) Cannot be measured
a) Is used to measure changes in the central tendency
b) Is always in control if the X-bar chart is in control
c) Generally uses control limits set at plus or minus 2 standard deviations of the distribution, rather than plus or minus 3 which is commonly used on the X-bar char
d) Is used to indicate gains or losses in uniformity
35.A customer service hotline has received an average of 7 complaints adayforthelast25 chart should be used to monitor this hotline
c) X-bar chart
- The maximum output of a system in a given period is called the
a) Break-even point
b) Design capacity
c) Effective capacity
37.Methods analysis focuses on
a) The design of the machines used to perform a task
b) Howa task is accomplished
c) The raw materials that are consumed in performing a task
d) Reducing the number of steps required to perform a task
- Which of the following doesn’t relate to work scheduled?
a) Flex time
c) Work week
d) Part time system
39.A good maintenance facility should have on the following except
a) Well train personnel
b) Availability to identify the cause of break down
c) Availability to extend MTBF
d) Availability to increase MTTR
40.The process that is intended to find potential failure and make change or repair is known as
a) Break down maintenance
b) Failure maintenance
c) Preventive maintenance
d) Reactive maintenance