What is meant by a management information system (MIS). Describe the factors responsible for good or a poor MIS.
A waiter takes an order at a table, and then enters it online via one of the six terminals located in the restaurant dining room. The order is routed to a printer in the appropriate preparation area: the cold item printer if it is a salad, the hot-item printer if it is a hot sandwich or the bar printer if it is a drink.
A customer’s meal check-listing (bill) the items ordered and the respective prices are automatically generated. This ordering system eliminates the old three-carbon-copy guest check system as well as any problems caused by a waiter’s handwriting. When the kitchen runs out of a food item, the cooks send out an ‘out of stock’ message, which will be displayed on the dining room terminals when waiters try to order that item. This gives the waiters faster feedback, enabling them to give better service to the customers.
Other system features aid management in the planning and control of their restaurant business. The system provides up-to-the-minute information on the food items ordered and breaks out percentages showing sales of each item versus total sales. This helps management plan menus according to customers’ tastes. The system also compares the weekly sales totals versus food costs, allowing planning for tighter cost controls.
In addition, whenever an order is voided, the reasons for the void are keyed in. This may help later in management decisions, especially if the voids consistently related to food or service. Acceptance of the system by the users is exceptionally high since the waiters and waitresses were involved in the selection and design process. All potential users were asked to give their impressions and ideas about the various systems available before one was chosen.
Q1. In the light of the system, describe the decisions to be made in the area of strategic planning, managerial control and operational control?
Q2. What would make the system a more complete MIS rather than just doing transaction processing?
Q3. Explain the probable effects that making the system more formal would have on the customers and the management.
The types of data transmission modes are
- "Half duplex,Duplex,Singlex"
- "Half duplex,Duplex,Simplex"
- "Half duplex,Duplex,Half Singlex"
- "Singlex,duplex,half triplex"
The basic architecture of computer was developed by
- John Von Neumann
- Charles Babbage
- Blaise Pascal
- Garden Moore
Another term for Main Memory is
- Hard Disk
- Floppy Disk
The real business and competitive value of information technology lies in
- The software application that are used by many companies.
- The capabilities of software and the value of the information a business acquires and used.
- "The infrastructure of hardware, networks, and other it facilities that are commonly used by many companies."
- The capabilities of the hardware and the speed at which it processes information.
DNS in internet technology stands for
- Data Name System
- Dynamic Name System
- Domain Name System
- Distributed Name System
"When collection of various computers seems a single coherent system to its client, then it is called"
- computer network
- distributed system
- both (a) and (b)
- none of the mentioned
Internet access by transmitting digital data over the wires of a local telephone network is provided by
- leased line
- digital subscriber line
- digital signal line
- none of the mentioned
What can be defined as most recent and perhaps the most comprehensive technique for solving computer problems.
- System Analysis
- System Data
- System Procedure
- System Record
The step-by-step instructions that solve a problem are called as?
- An algorithm
- A list
- A plan
- A sequential structure
Which of the following is not a characteristic of structured system development
- partitioning of systems into manageable levels of detail
- specification of the interfaces between modules
- "the use of graphical tools, such as data-flow diagrams, to model system"
- All of the above are characteristics
Which functional role does IT not play in SCM?
- Performance measurement and reporting
- Collaboration and coordination
- Decision support for supply chain planning
- Supply chain restructuring
"When the management decides to implement a new system and totally remove the old one, which of the following approach should be adopted?"
- Big bang or cold turkey approach
- Parallel approach
- Phased approach
- Pilot approach
Which one of the following is not a benefit of an ERP system?
- Information integration
- Better customer satisfaction
- Use of latest technology
- Program management
Which of the following statements is the most accurate?
- The degree to which information needs to be summarized increases as one moves up through the management levels
- Low-level managers made unstructured decisions
- Upper managers make unstructured decisions
- Middle managers make unstructured decisions
"As opposed to detailed transaction information, the management information system (MIS) responds to the need for?"
- electronic data processing
- managerial information
- accounting application
- utility billing information